The following is a list of nature-related volunteer opportunities. We would
like to strongly encourage our visitors to consider giving a helping hand to
conservation by donating some time to a nature-related organization. These
organizations cannot do it alone. Let's show our support.
If you are or know of an organization that is seeking volunteers, please
e-mail us and we will gladly include you
on this page.
Ordered by country, then state.
- Canadian Wildlife
- All of Canada - butterfly surveys in your area; report forms available.
- Bronte Butterfly Monitoring Project
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada - Butterfly observers needed to monitor once a week
in good weather throughout the summer and take inventory of the number and type of
American Butterfly Monitoring Project
- All of North America - conduct butterfly counts and surveys.
- Biophilia Nature
- Elberta, Alabama - help reestablish native butterfly plants, raise
butterflies, and give environmental tours. Contact person: Carol Lovell-Saas
- Huntsville-Madison County
Botanical Garden in Huntsville, Alabama
- Huntsville, Alabama - volunteers needed in butterfly house.
Arthropod Studies Institute (SASI)
- Tucson, AZ - Help with research, education, clerical duties, gardening and
- Tucson Botanical Garden
- Tucson, AZ - Various opportunities involve gift shop, gardens and grounds,
education, horticulture, library, office work.
- Mesker Park Botanic Garden
- Evansville, IN - needs interpreters in butterfly exhibit. Contact
Stephanie Brown at (812) 428-0715, ext 414 for more information.
- Nature Center/Museum, Linn Grove Iowa
- Volunteers are needed to plant and replant the butterfly garden at the
Nature Center/Museum in Linn Grove, Iowa. We are located 22 miles south of
Spencer, Iowa, and 18 miles north of Storm Lake, Iowa. We have started a
butterfly garden but will need help expanding and replanting this spring,
probably in May. For further information, please can contact
- Wichita Botanical
- Wichita, KS - Help out with education, gift shop, gardening and a lot more.
Garden's Wing of Fancy
- Wheaton, Maryland - needs ticket takers and cashiers
- Save the
Pine Bush - home of the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly
- Albany, NY - fund-raising, volunteer coordinator, and more. This is
crucial habitat to many threatened species. Any help you can give would
contribute to its conservation.
- Smithtown, NY - needs help in vivarium.
- Westtown Township, PA
- Looking for volunteers to help maintain newly planted 4800 square foot
butterfly garden located directly behind the township hall on Route 202. Duties
would include weeding, planting, tours/walks and taking periodic logs of
butterfly visitors. Will provide training. Call (610)692-1930.
- Butterfly counts and raise, tag and release.
- Costa Rica - Great Green Macaw English
- Interns needed for study of migration and foraging habits of the endangered
Great Green Macaw.
- Ornithology-Christian Birdwatchers Global Fellowship
- Elmo Alles, 11/2, Boyd Place, Colombo-3, Sri Lanka; Would like to have
biblical references,notes & observations. For more info, send
- American Birding
- The Nature
- Various opportunities in many states.
- Winter Finch and
Red-breasted Nuthatch Survey
- Hawk Color Banding
- San Geronimo, CA - Looking for someone with excellent tree-climbing skills who
would like to visit and volunteer climbing trees to band nestling
- Bald eagle watch, hawk watch, songbird banding and data entry.
- Raptor Rehab of
- Jefferson, MD - Opportunities for data entry, outdoor maintenance,
monitoring bluebird and songbird nesting box trails, setting up wildlife habitat
information files, writing grant proposals, setting up wildlife photo and
- New Jersey
- Needs nature walk leaders, sanctuary maintenance, and other.
- New Jersey Division Fish, Game &
Wildlife - Beach Nesting Bird Project
- The Raptor Trust
- Millington, NJ - Needs volunteers from May through August. Work
includes cleaning and maintaining songbird cages, feeding baby birds, care of
orphaned waterfowl, and helping staff members as needed. Please contact Ellen
Goldberg at (908)647-1091 or (908)647-2353.
- Southeastern New
Mexico Audubon Society
- Volunteer as a driver or recorder; do not need to be able to id birds.
- Portland Audubon
- Needs tour naturalist, chairperson for Nature Night Membership Program,
nature store assistants.
- Purple Martin Conservation Association
- Edinboro, PA - During the busy season (December thru June) we need volunteers for various tasks
Magazine/Catalog labeling, Shipping Assistant, Clerical (filing, typing, labeling),
Field Assistant (Martin House Maintanance/ Data recording).
- Heard Natural
Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary
- McKinney, TX - needs research assistant, curatorial aide, trail guides, and
- Rocky Mountain
- Southwestern Research Station
- For biology students.
- Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas
- West Virginia Raptor
- MAPS Monitoring - Bubolz Nature Preserve
- Appleton, WI - MAPS Monitoring (Avian Productivity and Survivorship) program, from the
beginning of June through mid August. Participate with bird banders in the operation of a ten net MAPS
station. Help is needed in the areas of data entry, vegetative surveys,
banding, and net operation. Housing and occasional meals provided. Contact:
Elaine Meyer, Naturalist, Bubolz Nature Preserve, 4815 N. Lynndale Dr., Appleton,
WI 54915; 920-731-6041; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alliance for
a Living Ocean
- Beach Haven, NJ - Partake in the gift shop, trash pick-up, Black Whale
cruises, public events, water quality tracking and lots more.
- Itereí Brazilian Private Rainforest Preserve
- São Paulo, Brazil - Many opportunities are available from working in
the butterfly garden gift shop to performing independent research. Minimum stay
2 weeks; maximum stay 3 months.
- The Nature
- Various opportunities in many states.
- Roman Nose State Park
- Watonga, OK - We are looking for volunteers
for various parts of our operation. We can use people with just about any
talent. We are especially interested in folks who RV because we have no park
housing. Volunteers can give visitor or school programs, operate the nature
center, enter computer data, participate in habitat improvement projects
such as tree and flower plantings and nest box building, trail building and
maintenance, exhibit design and roving interpretation. Any volunteers who give at least 30 hours per week will be provided with a
free RV or camping space. We have a beautiful park for those who are able
to take advantage of free time for this purpose. Like most parks, we are
extremely understaffed. Our address is: Roman Nose State Park, Rt. 1, Watonga, OK 73772;(580) 623-7281 ext. 311
- Southern Rockies
- Western CO & Northern NM - Manual restoration projects.
- Volunteer America
- Connects individuals, families, and groups with volunteer opportunities on
public lands all across the US.
Pam Mikula email@example.com
Last Updated: June 14, 2000
Site constructed and maintained by
Family of Nature WebSites
© Copyright 1995-2000 Matrix Graphics Corp.; all rights reserved.